I was in a mood for Biscotti all weekend, but just didn’t have time to go about making them until Monday. Biscotti are surprisingly easy, but they require a bit of baby sitting and oven time to finish. If you want them for breakfast, you’ll want to prepare them the night before.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes (longer if you have a 3 year old helper)
Baking Time: 50-60 Minutes in 3 steps.
- 6 tbsp butter, softened (I prefer Kerrygold)
- 1/2 Cup of Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Orange Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 chopped Pecans
- 1/2 cup of Ghirardelli Chocolate Dark Chocolate Chips (for dipping)
Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Line Baking sheet with silicone mat (best invention ever!) or Parchment Paper.
2. In medium bowl, cream sugar and butter together, then add eggs and orange extract. Beat until throughly mixed.
2. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add wet ingredient to dry and beat until dough starts to form. Add in chopped pecans, and stir until fully incorporated.
4. Place the dough on covered baking sheet and form a log. I made this log about 6″ x 12″ for thick coffee shop style biscotti. You can make two 3″ x 6″ logs for miniature biscotti.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes until light golden brown. Let the biscotti log cool for about 15 minutes and then using sharp knife, form the biscotti cookies by slicing them 1″ for a large log, or 1/2″ for miniature sized.
Flip the biscotti on their sides and bake for another 10 minutes. Let them cool for a minute or two and then flip once more, baking for another 5 minutes.
Let them cool completely, and then dip bottoms into melted chocolate. Place Biscotti in the freezer until chocolate is hardened.
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate to avoid melting the chocolate until it hits your hot coffee.